Monday, September 1, 2008

Catching up a bit...

UBIC
Here are some pix from our night at the UBIC concert. For those of you that don't know what UBIC is, let me explain.
UBIC stands for Uintah Basin in Celebration. What we are supposed to be celebrating, no one really knows. From what I hear, it used to stand for something else that had to do with the farming community out here, but now it's just a really great excuse to have a good time. It's a week long event and the city puts on lots of different events (my triathlon was part of UBIC), including talent shows, carnival-type booths and games, a parade fireworks... the whole bit. On Saturday night, they always have a free concert and fireworks. We really like going to this event and haven't missed it since we moved here, but now it's a little different because Albert is a firefighter and has to help set off the fireworks. Which, for him, is great fun! He would much rather be the one blowing stuff up (legally) than just sitting there watching the show. The draw back for me, obviously, is that I don't get to have a cute moment with my hubby to watch a great fireworks display, BUT it is pretty hot to have a firefighter for a husband! ;)
So, here we are during the concert. At least we can sit together for that part of the night!

Our good friends, Elisha and Sam. Sam happens to be the newest firefighter on the department, so Elisha and I got to hang out and watch the fireworks while Sam and Albert were playing Pyrotechnician.
Our other very good friends, Landon and Mandi. They just moved out here this Spring and we're so glad to have them close!
Alisha and Mandi making weird faces.
Sorry these next few pix are blurry. It was dark outside and my camera couldn't focus very well, but you get the gist of it.

Landon and Mandi's little boy, Brenon, stripping! Just kidding. He was actually just getting his PJ's on so he could go to sleep in the car on the way home.
Still trying to get dressed in the dark.
Alisha and Jaron. Landon and Mandi's other little boy. What a sweet little kiddo! And that's all for UBIC.

Oh, how does my garden grow....

WEEDS!

Grandpa Jones would be so embarrassed to see this picture. This was about a month ago and my garden hadn't been weeded in about 3 weeks. I guess you could say I don't have a COMPLETELY black thumb.

Before...


Moki loves to play in the garden and chase grasshoppers. What a good helper! He didn't get in my way AT ALL while I was weeding (note the sarcasm).
After about and hour of chasing and eating grasshoppers, Moki started to feel a little sick. So, he promptly threw all the grasshoppers back up and then thought he was hungry again, and decided that my cucumbers looked good.

That's right.

My dog is a freak.

Not only does he like to pick my peas straight off the vine, but now he has discovered cucumbers. I would like to know how I acquired an animal who loves veggies. Weird.

The first one didn't fill him up, so he picked the other one (yes, I can only grow one or two at a time) that was on the vine. SIGH.
After...
Ahhhh! Much better. And wouldn't ya know it? My garden has done so much better ever since I took those pesky weeds out.
I know, it's not much of a garden, but the past few years, I have done a bigger garden than this and it's just too much for just Albert and I.
I didn't take a picture of the ginormous bag of weeds I plucked out, but i honestly think it weighed 50-60 pounds. Holy crap. No wonder my back was sore.

Some of the fruits of my labors!
YUM!!!
I love summer and this is one of the reasons. Fresh garden veggies.
I can't get enough!
I thought this year I would try something new with my garden.
Cantaloupe and Watermelon!
I have heard that these can be kind of hard to grow in my area, but I thought, why not!? And guess what??? I have success!
Here is a tiny little watermelon that is about the size of a big gum ball.

This is about a month later and now my melons are about the size of a softball. I didn't look really hard, but I could only find this one watermelon. I have like 15 cantaloupes, though! I can't wait for these to ripen!

That's all from my garden for now!

The next part I need to update on, I don't have any pictures. Bummer. But, it was exciting, nonetheless!

One of my very oldest friends, Alyson, came out to Roosevelt for a visit last weekend!!! It was so great to have her out here! She got here Friday night, so we ate dinner, took a walk, and then watched "Where the Heart Is". Cute movie, by the way, and a great chick flick. The next day, we went and did a session at the Vernal Temple and then went to lunch at Winger's. When we got back to Roosevelt, Albert took us up Uinta Canyon to the Pole Creek Cave and Pole Creek Sinks. It was a lot of fun to walk around in the cool, muddy cave and the truck ride up was fun too. It's really bumpy, so it makes for a good time! When we got back, we went to dinner at Hollow Moon Cafe (which also doubled as our anniversary dinner) then went back home and watched Second Hand Lions. Another really great flick! I had never even heard of it, but i really liked it. On Sunday, we went to church, came home, ate lunch, talked for a while, and then it was time for Alyson to go home. Frown.

Overall, it was an awesome weekend! As we've gotten older and life has happened, we've drifted apart a bit, so it was so great to be able to get back in touch.

Thanx, Little Al, for coming to see me!

First signs of Fall

I didn't have to work on Friday, so I took an impromptu trip out to Park City and Oakley Thurday night to visit my good friend, Kelli (thanx again, Kelli, for letting me come out for a quick visit!), and to do a little shopping. I took the back way through Tabiona and over Wolf Creek, and while I was driving, I could have sworn I saw some leaves on the trees changing already! What??? It's too early still, right?

NOPE.

I was home on Saturday and took a good look around. You want to know what I found?

Fall leaves!

Not very many of them yet, but they're definitely there and on several different trees! Yikes! I love fall; in fact, it's my favorite season, but I've been enjoying summer so much, I haven't wanted it to end. But it is quickly coming to a close.

Here are a couple of my trees that have fall colors already.


This is my apple tree in our backyard.

I guess it's almost time to say goodbye to this awesome summer and start getting ready for Fall. Yesterday and today have actually felt a lot like Fall. We got some rain yesterday and then a really wicked wind storm accompanied by some rain last night and today. We have our windows open and the temperature in my house has not gone above 67 degrees today. Definitely Fall weather for the first day of September!

Crappy Situation

(pun intended)

Our neighbors down the street found out last week that their sewer pipes had collapsed.

YUCK!

A bunch of the guys in the neighborhood spent most of the day Saturday helping the Hill's dig and replace the pipe. They called Albert about 5 o'clock to come help, so this is what we did the rest of the night.

You can't really tell, but these mounds of dirt were almost as tall as the house and the trench the guys were working in was deeper than any of them are tall.

I was talking to my next door neighbor and she said that our sewer pipe are made of the same cheap stuff and that it might be a good idea to get sewer insurance so that when this happens to us (because it's bound to happen in the next year or two), we won't have to pay for this mess. Albert will be calling our insurance agent to do just that tomorrow morning.

Millions of peaches; peaches for ME!

Millions of peaches; peaches for....

$15.00 a box.

Okay, I know this has been a really long post, but I'm almost done. I promise!

Albert had a guy come into his work on Friday from Tremonton and he was selling peaches. YUM! I love peaches and Albert knows that, so he was a dear and bought me a box. Only drawback is that I have to do something with them all before they go bad. It's not a very big box, but you'd be surprised how many peaches can fit in a 1 foot x 2 foot x 1 foot box.

After 2 batches of peach freezer jam, homemade fresh peach pie, homemade fresh peach ice cream, peaches and cream, and about 4-5 pounds of plain sliced peaches to go in the freezer, this is what I had left in my box.

WOW.

Here are most of the peaches in their various forms. I am excited, however, to have fresh peaches during the winter!


Alright, I'm done. I'm sure you're all happy about it, too! Sorry this is such a long post, but I haven't posted anything real in about 3 weeks or so. Have to catch up.

Later.

10 comments:

Nathan and Shanna said...

Wow! I'm actually the first one to leave a comment....wait a minute while I bask in my glory...k I'm back. Alisha way cute blog...I love all your pictures and what the hey you do a really good job with your blog. Would you mind sending me and e-mail of the trenches in the neighbors yard? Nathan was there as well, but I was so pre occupied, that I didn't even think to go and take pictures. I would really appreciate that more than you can ever know! Sorry such a long comment I'll have to save the rest for another time...well...ok I've decided to say "That is good for now"! Take care.

Nathan and Shanna said...

Wow! I'm actually the first one to leave a comment....wait a minute while I bask in my glory...k I'm back. Alisha way cute blog...I love all your pictures, and just want you to know that you do a really good job with your blog! Would you mind sending me an e-mail of the trenches in the neighbors yard? Nathan was there as well, but I was so pre occupied, (can't imagine why...hmm maybe becasue I went from four to six childern)anyway I didn't even think to go and take pictures. I would really appreciate that more than you Think! HOLY COW! I'm sorry this is such a long comment I'll have to save the rest for another time...well...ok I've decided to say "That is Good for Now"! Take Care.

Nathan and Shanna said...

oops sorry! My BAD!

Diane said...

Times like this make a mother proud ... wiping the tears! You are amazing Pooh Bear!

Carrie said...

Can I borrow your dog for my grasshoppers? He can eat my produce too if he can find any! VB is starting on Sept 18!!!

Carrie said...

Oh, and I'm totally impressed with all your peaches...I didn't know you were such a domestic goddess!

Taylors6 said...

Loved the update Lish. And way to go on the peaches. Maybe someday you can teach me to be a good betty crocker wife. ha ha ha. CUTE POST!

Suelyn said...

HA HA HA HA HA The millions of peaches song got me cuz for some reason I feel like you've sang that song to me before ha ha Good job on your garden!!! I'm super duper impressed... Three cheers for Alissssshhhhha!!!!

Debra said...

Yummy Peaches! Looks like you have been very busy. Your garden looks a lot like mine (before all the weeding,of course). You're so awsome!

camille swain said...

Holy Cow! That was a long post. I'm afraid I didn't read everything towards the end, but I did look at all the pictures. The best part of this thing was your crazy dog eating a cucumber! How STRANGE!! I've never heard of that before.